httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Barth \(John\) Jones" <musicbyba...@alltel.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] assembly language and apache
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:26:05 GMT
OK, perhaps the term "language" isn't ordinarily applied to hexidecimal in
computing circles.  For that matter, perhaps not even binary considered a
language--but I think rather it is.  We can even go so far down as the three
voltages from your transformer.  But, you know, they are all **in fact** no
different from a language.  You have two terms in the binary language--zero
and one.  They can be used to represent all sorts of things from keyboard
expressions to instructions, even sound and images.  In hex you have 16
terms.  Before you even get to binary you have two terms--on and off, which
are translated mechanically into binary language.  You can even go so far as
to say **in fact**, the root computer language consists of one term--110
volts--converted into three terms--12 volts, 5 volts and 3.3 volts.  Hex is
based on binary--for example, 3AH is just decimal 58, which is 00111010 in
binary (that's just finger math--if you want me to look it up I can tell you
a lot of different things that byte might represent).  So in these low-level
languages you have one, two, three or perhaps 16 terms.  With each language
you can extend it by declaring variables, etc.  Whatever language you're
developing with, quintessentially, you're  just extending the language when
you declare variables, methods, classes etc.  It's the same in linguistics.
When you develop a new expression that's catchy it may become a phrase with
new meaning.  If it endures you've extended the language.

So quite sincerely, I'm not clueless, sometimes perhaps insane (as were the
prophets and guys like Newton at times, as is recorded in history--not
hardly comparing myself to them).

Respectfully,

Barth