httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joey Hewitt" <j...@joeyhewitt.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 2.0.48 user auth not working
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:58:12 GMT
(This looks like a repost.  If it is, I think it would be nice to say so,
and perhaps wait more than a day to post again.)

Ian L <apache@merk.caltech.edu> wrote:
> I'm trying to password protect a directory under apache, but apache isnt
> asking for a password. Its letting me view html and executing cgi pages. I
> used pretty much the same config on another site running on this machine
> and that is working. This one though just acts like there's no
> authentication at all.
>
> Any idea what i did wrong?  (i did restart apache) here's the relevant
conf
> file section:
>
> <VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.:80>
>   ServerName domain.name
>   DocumentRoot /disk/whis-site
>   CustomLog logs/access_log_whis combined
>   <Directory /disk/whis/phppgadmin>
>    Options +ExecCGI
>    AuthType Basic
>    AuthName "Whis"
>    AuthUserFile /disk/whis_PassFile
>    Require valid-user
>   </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> thanks

You might need to tell Apache to deny access unless authentication has been
done, with something like

    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
then
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "Whis"

Someone please say something if I'm wrong; I'm no guru. ;)  Hope this helps,
==Joey