httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael" <x...@xshellr8.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Moving apache from one host to another
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:55:19 GMT
Well it sounds like a DNS issue for sure, at least in part.

What you can try is to use the IP of the box in the browser (i.e.
http://xx.xx.xx.xx/index(.php or .html) etc.) and if that works you'll know
if it's just the DNS issue.  If it doesn't work then it's likely a
combination of several issues.

You can at least start to narrow it down then.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Poythress, Lynn [mailto:apoythre@skymail.csus.edu]
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 1:50 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Moving apache from one host to another

Hello,
We are currently running Apache 1.3.19 on an HP-UX 11.00 machine. I’m new at
creating web servers, so please bear with me!
I have moved it to a new server – renaming the ServerName variable (from
my.oldhost.name.edu to my.host.name.edu) in the httpd.conf file.
I’ve also added port 5556 to the new /etc/services file as the apache
port.   I can successfully start and stop apache – without any errors.
However, when I try to access the server via the browser I run into
problems.
If I use IE I get an error that says ‘Cannot find server or DNS error’.
If I use Netscape I just get an error pop-up box that says the connection
was refused.
I’m just typing in the hostname on the browser – ie.
http://my.host.name.edu.  If I type http://my.host.name.edu:5556 I get the
same errors.
Do I need to re-run the configure, make and make install steps?  The doc.
makes it sound like I can change httpd.conf without re-doing any of that.
Any ideas as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lynn Poythress
California State University, Sacramento