httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] httpd startup time
Date Fri, 28 May 2004 19:06:16 GMT

On Fri, 28 May 2004 cnelson@nycap.rr.com wrote:
> Define "incredibly small time intervals" and "slow to start".  My tests
> show Apache taking 20-60 seconds to start which is a large percentage of
> the time it takes my system to start up.  I'm shooting for <60 boot
> time.

I think there is something very wrong, in that case (like bad DNS
lookups).  I've never experienced startup-times anywhere near that long
with the default config.  You could try strace'ing apache to see what is
using all the time.

Also note that you could just start apache in the background and let the
rest of your startup continue.

> Should removing comments help much?

Only in as much as they will increase the time needed to read the file
from disk.  (In other words: not very much.)

Joshua.