httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache -> disable MS DAV
Date Tue, 25 May 2004 17:31:31 GMT

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Koen Vingerhoets wrote:
> What happens, and PLEASE correct me if wrong:
> user clicks the link, and document is written in the browser (16:16:33:984).
> When it's completely downloaded, OFFICE takes over and sends a NEW request
> to the browser (16:16:36:859).
> THAT creates an error on our side, which isn't seen by the user.
>
> My questions:
> 1) HOW do I block USER-AGENT: Microsoft Data Access Internet Publishing
> Provider DAV 1.1? Is it possible to make it unable for that user-agent to
> access documents at the site (or in other words, to ask again for the same
> servlet)?
> 2) Does anyone know of problems this could cause?

First question: Why do you care?

Yes, your explanation sounds about right: MS-Office is sending some HTTP
requests to figure out if will be able to save the document back to the
server again.  It wants this information to determine if it should mark
the file read-only or not.

I don't know of any way to prevent MS-Office from doing this.  You can
block that user agent, but that will only change the response from method
not allowed to forbidden.  What difference does that make to you?  Why are
you concerned by these error messages?

Joshua.