httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Buffered logging
Date Fri, 21 May 2004 19:00:54 GMT

On Fri, 21 May 2004, HIRODE,KARTHEEK (HP-Boise,ex1) wrote:
> (1) Is there a way to buffer the access logs before writing it out to file?

There is actually an undocumented config directive "BufferedLogs On" which
will do this.  I'm not sure how well it works.

You can also, of course, use a piped log program to do whatever buffering
you want with your logs.

> (2) Does Apache write the access log *after* the response is committed? Is
> there way to write the access log *as soon as* the request is received?

After the response.  This is necessary to allow logging of certain things
that are only known at this time (like the length of time taken to send
the response, for example).  It is not configurable.

mod_log_forensic will write information about the request both before and
after the response.  But I'm not exactly sure why you want the log written
before the reponse, so it is hard to tell if that will solve your problem.

Joshua.