httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Getting .htaccess to work
Date Fri, 21 May 2004 18:35:43 GMT

On Fri, 21 May 2004, Mike Holley wrote:
>> You haven't been very clear about exactly what happens with the above
>> configuration.  Is everyone allowed in?  Is nobody allowed in?
> Right now every one can download from the site. What I have found, and forgot
> to mention, is that I can't modify the default. If the order directive say
> the default is allow, then it seems to ignore the "deny from all" line.
> Whereas if the default is deny then it ignores the "allow from 128.187" line.
> As it is now, the default is allow so everyone can get in, seeing that "there
> is no deny." (At least that is what I figure.)

There are a few possibilities here.  Once is that perhaps you don't
understand the Order directive.  "Order deny,allow" means that the default
is "allow from all", then any deny directives are evaluated then any allow
directives.

Another possibility is that there are other allow/deny/order directives in
your config that are interfering with this set.  In particular, check for
any <Location> or <files> sections containing allow/deny/order.

Joshua.