httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Versions 1.3 vs. 2.0
Date Mon, 31 May 2004 12:24:50 GMT
On Mon, 31 May 2004, Gil Shai wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would like to know the current stability status of both versions. I am
> using Linux Mandrake 10 and would like to know whether version 2.0 is
> stable enough for a production environment? I have read that PHP doesn't
> work so well with this version. IS it still true? Are there other
> issues?

2.0 will never be as "stable" as 1.3, simply for the reason that 2.0 is
much more actively developed.  (In the same way that Windows XP will never
be as "stable" as DOS.)  Both versions have bugs/flaws, but 2.0 is the one
that is being most actively developed, and is where most new features go.
Many people use 2.0 in production and that is the version I would
recommend on a new server, unless there was a specific reason to use 1.3
(like a module not compatible with 2.0).

I don't use php extensively, but my understanding of the issue is that the
PHP folks warn about apache 2.0 for two reasons:
- Some libraries used by php are not thread-safe.  This problem is
entirely avoided if you use the prefork mpm.
- There are fewer php developers using apache 2.0, so it may not be as
actively maintained.

The last issue seems like a silly reason to recommend nobody use
php+apache2.  I'm fairly sure there are many more people using php+apache2
than there are using php+caudium or php+orielly website pro, and neither
of those servers have warnings like that.  I also know that many people
report having no problems with php+apache2 in production.

> I am also planning on working with Tomcat 5 through JK2. Are there any
> stability issues for this combination?

I don't really know anything specific about this, but certainly tomcat
does support apache2.

Joshua.