httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Bug Versions 1.3.28/29 Fixed In 1.3.31 Or Not?
Date Mon, 17 May 2004 20:32:04 GMT

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Laura Vance wrote:
> I have an idea that should solve all problems.  (yeah, right. ;)  )
>
> What I would propose is to allow a directive in the httpd.conf file that
> would be something like this:
>
> <methodLogging>
>     DENY SEARCH etc.
>     ALLOW ALL
> </methodLogging>

The thing is, there is already a flexible conditional logging method using
mod_setenvif and env= on CustomLog.  It is just that certain very specific
types of malformed requests will skip the usual mod_setenvif processing.
Is it really worth it to reimpliment an existing feature just to catch
this very specific case?  (Surely some people would say yes; but I guess
nobody who is willing to code it up has said so.)

Conditional logging in apache is very flexible, but probably more
complicated than it need be.  In my ideal world, you would be able to do
conditional logging based on any of the % directives specified in
LogFormat (including the request method).  But again, many developers see
this as a low priority, since most web admins want a complete log file and
can do any necessary processing after-the-fact.

Joshua.