httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Sending PHP-generated file Vs. plain text
Date Sun, 16 May 2004 14:12:16 GMT

On Sat, 15 May 2004, Joey Hewitt wrote:
>   The problem is it looks like Apache is recognizing the .txt file before it
> sees the .php file.  If I type the URL in my address bar with the .php on the
> end, it works, but if I don't include an extension, I get the text file.
>   If I can't find out how to make Apache recognize the .php file, I can move the
> text file out of the DocumentRoot and it will work fine for me.  (After all,
> does anyone set their browser to only Accept text/plain these days anyways? :)
> )
>   I realize that .php is a sort of generic extension in the sense that you can
> use PHP to serve any type of data.  Indeed, it seems Apache uses PHP as a
> "last-ditch attempt" to fulfill requests, because if I give it the same Accept
> parameters my browser does but without text/plain, it gives me the .php file
> like I want.  Because of this, it may not be possible to cleanly do what I
> want, so if not, I'll just give up on the text-only idea.  (It could also be
> implemented as a parameter passed to the PHP file through the URL, but that
> wouldn't be as automatic.  If it's not a convenient side-effect, I don't really
> care, because, again, no-one will probably only Accept text/plain anyways.)

I don't know of any browser that understands text/plain and not text/html,
so this is probably a silly idea.

But if you really want to do this, there are some notes which explain the
basic solution here:
http://tranchant.plus.com/notes/multiviews
(Essentially, you need to use AddHandler rather than AddType to activate
your php handler, and then use AddType to designate the php script as
text/html.)

But then you are going to run into the problem that most browsers don't
express a preference for text/html over text/plain anyway, so the
text/plain might end up getting served because it is smaller.  You could,
perhaps, use server-side quality values to fix this, but I don't really
know the details.

Joshua.