httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problem with people attempting use my server for forward proxy
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 19:59:47 GMT

On Tue, 4 May 2004 Cary_Anderson@dot.ca.gov wrote:

> I am having a small problem with people attempting to use my apache server
> as a forward proxy.
>
> The ProxyRequest Option is set to OFF and attempting to use the server as a
> forward proxy generally results in a 404 error.  But if they just send a
> base URI GET request.  They are returned my web servers home page, and it
> shows up in my log as a successfull attempt to remote site.
>
> Is there any way to prevent this from happening or at least filtering it
> from the logs?

The FAQ tells you how to grab these requests in a <virtualhost>:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#proxyscan
from where you can also do logging, if you'd like.

I just can't get why people are so upset about seeing odd stuff in their
logs.  That's what logs are there for: to show you what is happening to
your server.  If you remove all that stuff, your logs become much less
useful.

Joshua.