httpd-users mailing list archives

From dcarr...@sanctuary.org
Subject [users@httpd] Apache2 on WinXP, serving mangled,corrupted pages and images
Date Fri, 28 May 2004 15:16:41 GMT

I'm having a problem with Apache2 on WinXP Pro. Many, but not all, of the
pages and images are being mangled somehow between the source htdocs/
folder and the browser - tested from both a remote machine and on the
server itself. The files are corrupted in a specific way. The client
browser receives the file not from the beginning but from some point into
the file. From the point of error to the end of the file is fine, but then
at the end of the initial file output, another section of file is output
starting again at some apparently random point in the file and running to
the end.

I haven't found any similar complaints online. Initially, I had a working
install on this machine running for about a week.
Yesterday I added a folder to the web directory, added some aliases to
the folder, installed Photoshop 7.0, and made some minor changes to
my mysql DB and the php files accessing it... and I noticed the errors
(which were not there previously). After wrestling with it
(editting the conf files, disabling php, looking at the mime types,
restoring a backup of the html files) I reinstalled apache2 in the
same folder maintaining my old conf file - no change. So today, I wiped
apache2 and re-installed it in another folder with just the clean install
files. I checked the test page and checked the manual page - the test page
was fine, the manual pages were exhibiting the error behavior.

 I dropped a single page and some images from my old backup html folder to
verify that images were failing. And checked those images with the
hexviewer to verify that the pattern of corruption was the same for text
and image files.

Server Info: Apache 2.0.49 (Win32) [Mostly Clean Re-Install]
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (P4 2.8 256M RAM)
Apache is currently (viewing Task Mgr now) running 2 Apache.exe and 1
ApacheMonitor.exe processes.

Any help would be appreciated. Please reply to dcarruth@sanctuary.org.
Thanks,
 Daniel

Specific info on the page and image behavior below:

 -- Page mangling
When a page is corrupted by the server, the received source often begins
at some point into the file. For example, the manual page provided with
Apache begins:
 g.html">Stopping or Restarting</a></li>
 <li><a href="mod/directives.html">.....

 Locally the file of course includes a header, release note information,
etc. This file is also an xml file. The corruption of files also occurs on
vanilla html files.

 A specific aspect of the corruption is that the page repeats once. Once
the entire page from the point of error has been displayed, another version of
the page is appended to the end, usually starting from a different error
point and continuing to the end of the file.

 -- Image mangling
When an image is messed up, Mozilla is displaying a broken image icon.

>From Properties when 'View Image' selected in Mozilla:
 The image http://localhost/images/toolbar.gif cannot be displayed,
 because it contains errors.

If I save a mangled image to disk, the size and size on disk displayed in
WinXP's Properties dialog are the same(11,250 and 12,288 B in this case).
However, while the original image in htdocs/images/ opens fine, the served
image cannot be opened by Mozilla or pbrush.

Not all the images are mangled, a number of them are served correctly.
There appears to be no obvious feature of the images offering a clue as to
why some of the images are not being corrupted and others are.

Like pages, the images appear to be corrupted in the same way as the pages
(and presumably other file types would be as well). Using a hexviewer, I
was able to find the point in the toolbar.gif where the image was
repeating. I also found similar points in other images (different
locations).