httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.49 flushing CGI script causes huge memory consumption
Date Mon, 31 May 2004 20:54:06 GMT
On Mon, 31 May 2004, David Greenaway wrote:

> I switched to mod_cgid, giving no change. I then tried your suggestion
> of looking at my output filters, and found that mod_deflate seems to be
> the culprit: Removing it makes allows the page to be served without
> the server blinking.

Your original post refers to printing "foo" 100000 times with
output buffering suppressed.

I was wondering idly if that became 100000 3-byte buckets - maybe
even with each having its own brigade - within Apache.  That would
certainly be inefficient, and would give a reason why mod_deflate
might blow up[1].

Next experiment is to insert a resource filter from mod_diagnostics
to see exactly what is coming from your CGI.  If it turns out to be
ridiculous numbers of tiny buckets, then we have a diagnosis and
a choice of fixes.

[1] That's speculation: I don't know zlib well enough to tell.

--
Nick Kew