httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] High load average problem
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 10:52:40 GMT
On Wed, 19 May 2004, Aurélien DEHAY wrote:

> Furthermore, he is already using prefork env: he has a RH 9, then with
> the NPTL patch applied, and if he is using the worker model, he wouldn't
> see all that httpd but only a few.

I was guessing based on seeing several listed "httpd"s of exactly
the same size.  That's typical of linux's ps listing different
threads "as if" they are processes under kernel 2.4.

They're also huge - presumably due to something running locally and
perhaps leaking memory badly - and in state D.  The latter could
be down to a number of causes: heavy thrashing (bloated processes)
or threading trouble and deadlock.  I'd be looking at what's causing
the httpd size to spiral out of control.  Especially if it's prefork,
so that no process is handling more than one client!

--
Nick Kew