httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] HTTP 1.1 chunked encoding appears broken for index pages/negotiated content
Date Mon, 10 May 2004 00:01:01 GMT
On Sun, 9 May 2004 joey@joeyhewitt.com wrote:

> Hello all,

> (chop)

What you post appears to indicate a bug - and you've done a good job
of digging for details likely to be relevant.

There's one vital piece missing: namely, why is your page being chunked
in the first place?  If it's a static file, apache should be sending
it with a Content-Length header and no chunking.  So either your Gentoo
package has introduced some broken wierdness (and that wouldn't be the
first time) or you're not in fact serving (just) a static file.

> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 20:04:12 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.0.49 (Gentoo/Linux) mod_ssl/2.0.49 OpenSSL/0.9.7d PHP/4.3.4
> Vary: negotiate

Are you sure you're content-negotiating?  Because if so, the absence
of negotiated headers in that Vary is another rather serious bug.

> TCN: choice
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
> Transfer-Encoding: chunked

> 5d3
> This document last modified
> 1f
> Sun, 09 May 2004 13:48:25 -0600
> 32

Is that SSI there?  Or some other publishing system inserting that?
I just tried SSI + the apache test page (which is of course language-
negotiated), but Apache here declined to give me chunked encoding
merely because I'd inserted an SSI date.

--
Nick Kew

Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/