httpd-users mailing list archives

From "John P. Dodge" <do...@cruciate.ca.boeing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ulimit being ignored
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 18:27:41 GMT
On Tue, 4 May 2004, Paul Mindeman wrote:

> John P. Dodge wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Paul Mindeman wrote:
> >

> >>  The error log says that the certificate file for one of the hosts
> >>cannot be opened because there are too many open files.  When I change
> >>CustomLog back to logging to a file instead of a process, the server
> >>
> >>I've tried setting the ULIMIT_MAX_FILES variable in apachectl to "ulimit
> >>-S -n unlimited", but still get the same error.  Its almost as if ulimit
> >>is being ignored, or isn't getting passed on to the child processes.
> >>
> >>Any ideas?
> >

> > In /etc/system:
> >
> > set rlim_fd_max = 4096
> > set rlim_fd_cur = 2048
> >
> > Then do s reconfigure re-boot.
> >
> The OS is Solaris 9.  I tried adding those lines to /etc/system and
> doing the reconfigure boot.  The error still occurs.  I thought the
> problem might have something to do with Apache being built on Solaris 8
> and running on Solaris 9, so I rebuilt Apache on Solaris 9.  Same behavior.
>
> The line from the error_log says:
>
> [Tue May 04 09:40:01 2004] [error] SSL Library Error: 33558552
> error:02001018:system library:fopen:Too many open files

Well, in Solaris 9 they finally increased the default FD numbers so thr
system limit is probably not it.

Here is a sunsolve doc which talks about open()/fopen() and "too many open
files".

http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=ffaqs%2F01406&zone_32=too%20many%20open%20files&wholewords=on

"Mon aƩroglisseur est plein d'anguilles"
John P. Dodge
Boeing Shared Services