httpd-users mailing list archives

From Cary_Ander...@dot.ca.gov
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problem with people attempting use my server for forward proxy
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 20:31:30 GMT

Joshua,

I'm not upset by seeing them in my logs.  My first choice is to prevent
these requests from occuring in the first place.  I'd rather not have my
web server processing or attempting to process forward proxy attempts.
This uses cpu and bandwith.  If that is not possible I would like to try
and filter these requests out to a separate log.  I know they are
happening, but don't really need to see this mixed into my standard logs
which I use for trend analysis on my servers.

                      Joshua Slive

                    <joshua@slive.       To:     users@httpd.apache.org

                               ca>       cc:

                                         Subject:     Re: [users@httpd] Problem with people
attempting
                        05/04/2004        use my server for forward proxy

                          12:59 PM

                    Please respond

                          to users

On Tue, 4 May 2004 Cary_Anderson@dot.ca.gov wrote:

> I am having a small problem with people attempting to use my apache
server
> as a forward proxy.
>
> The ProxyRequest Option is set to OFF and attempting to use the server as
> forward proxy generally results in a 404 error.  But if they just send a
> base URI GET request.  They are returned my web servers home page, and it
> shows up in my log as a successfull attempt to remote site.
>
> Is there any way to prevent this from happening or at least filtering it
> from the logs?

The FAQ tells you how to grab these requests in a <virtualhost>:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#proxyscan
from where you can also do logging, if you'd like.

I just can't get why people are so upset about seeing odd stuff in their
logs.  That's what logs are there for: to show you what is happening to
your server.  If you remove all that stuff, your logs become much less
useful.

Joshua.