httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ben Sewell" <ben_sewell_...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apache and frontpage
Date Mon, 10 May 2004 00:56:43 GMT
Thanks for the link gary. I think I will just install Apache tool box since
I need php,mysql,perl, and frontpage installed. Their URL is:
www.apachetoolbox.com. I will tell you the result if I can I do it. First I
will await a responce for a post I left on their forum for what apache
version is included in the latest.

Ben

>From: "Gary Smith" <gary@primeexalia.com>
>To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
>Subject: RE: [users@httpd] apache and frontpage
>Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 09:41:46 -0700
>
>www.rtr.com has much information on the subject.  We got it to work with
>Apache 1.3.28 and 2.0.x.  It was a little tricky for our deployment.  We
>kept running into problems with the deployment of it.  What we did was
>to select the default options and let it install FP (which for some
>reason never completely worked).  Then we did the compile with the apxs
>after the install to ensure the mod_frontpage.so was created.
>
>We checked and looked into the fp_install.sh file (near the bottom) to
>see what options the install script created and then we just ran it
>manually.
>
>The problem with the fp_install.sh script is that MS tried to get too
>smart and do a lot of version checking before the install.  It seems
>that they expect it to be ran by brain dead people who cannot do
>anything on linux.  What they should do is assume that the kernel is
>patched or supports mod_so and then just install frontpage.  Then give
>the user the compile option in order to run it...  (just my $0.02).
>
>The other gotcha is if you use Frontpage forms for emailing you have to
>modify the .cnf files for each website to include the default sender and
>default smtp server (which would probably be localhost for most of the
>linux guys).
>
>And finally, if you do get it working there is something else you need
>to remember.  Frontpage does not like FTP.  If users ftp files and later
>try to edit them with Frontpage sometimes frontpage chokes.  So, if/when
>you get it to work you might want to schedule a cron job to recalc all
>of the Frontpage webs on some type of regular basis.

If you fuck me off then standby,
Ben