httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rob De Langhe <rob.delan...@telindus.be>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] problems with mod_perl_html module on reverse p roxy
Date Wed, 05 May 2004 07:47:14 GMT
1) even when I connect to our reverse-proxy with HTTP, and it forwards the
connection over HTTPS to the internal machine, the absolute URLs don't get
translated.
2) in-HTML URLs : as I noticed from the error_log for the
".../htdocs/images" message
redirects : the "http://reverse.ourdomain.com/int1/cgi-bin/somescript" CGI
apparently generates some redirect to a CGI named "/cgi-bin/main.tcl", which
causes the 2nd message in the error_log file.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Kew [mailto:nick@webthing.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 4:31 PM
To: 'users@httpd.apache.org'
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] problems with mod_perl_html module on reverse
proxy

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Rob De Langhe wrote:

> If a person connects to our reverse-proxy with the URL
>
> https://reverse.ourdomain.com/int1

I've never run a reverse proxy with SSL.

Smart proxying needs to see the traffic passing through.  With https, all it
sees of the response is a stream of meaningless bytes. That's a showstopper
for ProxyPassReverse and ProxyHTMLURLMap, unless you can run security
hop-by-hop (so both the client and server trust the proxy rather than each
other).

> The error_log file contains messages like
> [Tue May 04 12:25:29 2004] [error] [client 10.0.82.7] File does not
> exist: /usr/local/apache2.proxy/htdocs/images, referer:
> https://reverse.ourdomain.com/int1/cgi-bin/somescript
>
> [Tue May 04 12:25:32 2004] [error] [client 10.0.82.7] File does not
> exist: /usr/local/apache2.proxy/htdocs/cgi-bin

You mentioned both internal redirects and in-HTML URLs.
Are they both doing exactly the same thing?

--
Nick Kew

Visit us at the Telecom cITy Fair - The largest IT Fair in Belgium!
25, 26, 27 May - Brussels Expo

Get your free tickets here!