httpd-users mailing list archives

From cnel...@nycap.rr.com
Subject Re: [users@httpd] httpd startup time
Date Fri, 28 May 2004 18:56:27 GMT
> Unless your apache configuration is huge or you are really
> concerned by
> incredibly small time intervals, I think you're wasting your time
> here.
> Apache is not, in general, slow to start.

Define "incredibly small time intervals" and "slow to start".  My tests show Apache taking
20-60 seconds to start which is a large percentage of the time it takes my system to start
up.  I'm shooting for <60 boot time.

> But if you really need to shave off the time, the two things I
> suggest
> are:
> - Make sure apache doesn't need to do any DNS lookups.  See:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/dns-caveats.html

I've set ServerName to 127.0.0.1 but I'll look at that document for more tips.

> - Keep your config files as short as possible.  This include
> httpd.conf

Should removing comments help much?

> and mime.types.

That might be a big help, we aren't really going to deal with MIME at all, just server basic
HTML.

> I would guess that you'd get faster start times by statically
> compiling
> everything, but I haven't tried it.
>
> I wouldn't set StartServers to 0, but 1 would probably be ok.

OK.  Thanks.