httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon <br...@brentdax.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Http failing for 5-20 mins and recovering by itself
Date Sun, 30 May 2004 08:04:57 GMT
Zoe Ballz wrote:
> I run Apache as an
> application rather than a service as I heard that as a service (without
> running the server version of windows) had limited capacity (10 connections
> at once so I was told) but an app has no such limitations (Q1 Please correct
> me if I am wrong) !!

On Windows 2000 Pro, the Microsoft IIS web server is crippled--it's
limited to ten connections.  Apache is a separate web server, so it's
not affected by this.

> Are the errors occurring at times when the file is being updated and
> therefore "in use"?

This is quite likely.

> If so - how can I avoid this? is there a way to allow read access while the
> file is being written to?  or to make apache wait until the file is
> available?

As someone else said, the usual trick on Unix is to upload the file
under a different name, then rename it into place once the upload's
complete.  In other words:

   * connect to FTP server
   * upload temp.jpg
   * rename temp.jpg to image.jpg
   * disconnect

(The connect and disconnect steps, of course, are optional--you could
connect at the beginning and hold the connection open.)

File locking is a little more complicated on Windows (most Windows file
locks are mandatory, and produce errors when you try to open a locked
file; Unix file locks are usually advisory, and block until the file has
been unlocked), but I would imagine this trick would still work.

HTH,
--
Brent "Dax" Royal-Gordon <brent@brentdax.com>
Perl and Parrot hacker

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.