httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Rick" <listx-apa...@dstudio.clara.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Conditional RewriteRule
Date Wed, 26 May 2004 07:53:37 GMT

Thanks to everybody for all the help and suggestions, especially for:
* reassurance that my original idea was basically OK-ish;
* the regex (from Robert Andersson) to pad the filename;
* hints (from several people) that maybe putting all our files
  into that hashed directory structure was not the best approach.

As Nick Kew observed, this is a task for which there is more than
one solution. Missing from my background info was the fact that
our options are restricted -- the project is hosted on a shared
hosting plan (there isn't enough money for anything better), so we
can't choose our own filesystem, what we can do with Apache is
limited to .htaccess, and we do have to be quite careful about our
impact on the server.

So I'm trying to think of the best solution available within this
narrow framework. The first step is to ensure that our URLs are
long-term independent of any plausible implementation -- which
includes databasing (as suggested by Eugene Lee) as well as using
static files. Right now I'm leaning towards databasing, which on a
shared server is probably less robust, but URL rewriting should be
simpler.