httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aaron W Morris <aaronmor...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] High load average problem
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 20:58:41 GMT
David Yee wrote:
> Hi guys I'm having some high load average problems with Apache.  Here are
> some of my settings in httpd.conf (Apache 2.0.47) running PHP on Red Hat 9.
> The server is a 1.7 GHz Celeron with 512 megs of RAM:

snip

> The problem is that sometimes the load would go over 100 and the entire
> server would pretty much stop responding. So I wrote a script that will send
> me an email of the running processes (including how many are apache)
> everytime there's a heavy load.
> Here are the processes when the load was 126- what do you think is going on?
> Looks like there are a lot of dead httpd processes.
> Or perhaps I just need to upgrade the server. Thanks for any input.

snip

First, 512MB of memory is not much considering Apache with PHP and MySQL
are running on the same server.  Are you paging at all?  What does the
"free" command say during the problem?  How about "vmstat 5"

Second, this might be a coincidence, but I noticed "slocate" is running
via cron.  slocate indexes the files on your filesystems (I believe) and
is probably very I/O intensive.  It might not be the cause, but I am
sure it's not helping.