httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Kruckenberg <michael.kruckenb...@tufts.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Starting Apache at boot with startssl
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 13:21:53 GMT
Steve Turnbull wrote:
> The only thing I can't get working, is starting at boot time. If we
> restart, the default 'start' command is run, and I can't seem to get the
> script to run 'startssl'.
To get apache to run with ssl at boot time you need the default start
option in apachectl to bring up ssl. In most cases (and by default) ssl
is started by passing -DSSL to httpd (a conditional used in httpd.conf
to determine whether to load up the ssl directives).

We do this by tweaking the apachectl to have the default option start
SSL and change the other option to startnossl. It's pretty simple, move
-DSSL to the start case and change the name of the startssl case.

 From apachectl in 2.0.48:

<snip>

case $ARGV in
start|stop|restart|graceful)
     $HTTPD -k $ARGV -DSSL
     ERROR=$?
     ;;
startnossl|nosslstart|start-noSSL)
     $HTTPD -k start
     ERROR=$?
     ;;
configtest)
     $HTTPD -t
     ERROR=$?
     ;;
status)
     $LYNX $STATUSURL | awk ' /process$/ { print; exit } { print } '
     ;;
fullstatus)
     $LYNX $STATUSURL
     ;;