httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Heinrich C. Kuhn" <...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Bug Versions 1.3.28/29 Fixed In 1.3.31 Or Not?
Date Tue, 18 May 2004 14:18:26 GMT
Purl Gurl wrote inter alia:
> My experience is, especially with Apache and Perl, developers
> write in bugs which are a direct result of their lack of
> experience with Windows systems.

Before a legend becomes persistent: this may be so in some
cases (which I did not hear about). however: in our experience
here both Apache (generation 2) and Perl do run without problems
on MS-Windows servers. We did use IIS4 for a long time, then
switched to IIS6 (for a *very* short time) and now are using
Apache 2 (experiences as above): IMHO Apache 2 had and has con-
figuration advantages over IIS6 and to all our experience it
is anything but slower than IIS6.
   My thanks go to the apache developers for having delivered
a product which (at least in our case) runs better on MS servers
than the competing MS product.

   Thus I'd suggest: either document your claims by case studies
or cease to claim that the use of Apache2 on Windows servers
is a bad idea for those who have to use Windows servers.

   Best regards

Heinrich C. Kuhn