httpd-users mailing list archives

From Laura Vance <van...@winfreeacademy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Bug Versions 1.3.28/29 Fixed In 1.3.31 Or Not?
Date Mon, 17 May 2004 20:20:23 GMT
Hello,

I have an idea that should solve all problems.  (yeah, right. ;)  )

What I would propose is to allow a directive in the httpd.conf file that
would be something like this:

<methodLogging>
    DENY SEARCH etc.
    ALLOW ALL
</methodLogging>

or something like that to deny specific request logging and allow all
the others.  Since it's been stated that request methods that are not
configured don't actually get "processed", this would just keep them
from showing up in the log.  I mean, if they're not processed, there's
no risk of contamination of any kind, right?

The reason I think this might help is that while most of us want to have
our logs so that we can look back to before a problem happened to see
what led up to it, others do not want this function.  Just as it's not
one person's place to say what I want, it's not my place to say what
they want either.

With that being said, I personally have no reason to stop any methods
from reaching my log, but who's to say that someone just doesn't care
for it.  I guess an example (if one is needed) is that you can tell
someone that the paint is wet, but until they touch it, they don't know
for sure.  One thing to think about is if someone does have their logs
set to not log anything, then if they ask for help because someone
hacked their server, the question could be "what's in your logs?"  If
the response is "they were turned off" you can feel justified in saying
"why weren't you logging?  we can't help you without logs."

Also just to clarify, I don't see detailed logs as a "bug", but the
ability to select what you log would be more of a feature request.
Isn't that partly why we love Linux and the open source movement... the
"man" can't tell us what to do (or log as the case may be).

--
Thanks,
Laura Vance