httpd-users mailing list archives

From Purl Gurl <purlg...@purlgurl.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Bug Versions 1.3.28/29 Fixed In 1.3.31 Or Not?
Date Mon, 17 May 2004 14:08:02 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Martin Lomas wrote:

(snipped)

(read thread to learn about near fatal bugs in Apache)

> > I'm running v1.3.31 on Win32 and that bug is defintely NOT fixed. Further,
> > as with previous versions, no LogLevel stops the errors filling the log.
> > Most annoying. Other than that, v1.3.31 is running fine.

> A patch would help...

Jim, I am using your article as an excuse to rant.

My previous experience is, when submitting a bug report, is Apache
bugzilla will close a bug report in a matter of an hour or two,
claiming "resolved - invalid." Doesn't matter if a bug report
is valid, is true, is documented. It is instantly closed without
any discussion or debate.

I have engaged a number of people at Apache Org in discussion
of these types of problems and have discovered adamant denial
and excuse making; Redmond Syndrome.

My rant is it is clear Apache does not platform test their
releases. This is, Apache appears to test only on Unix like
platforms and assumes their server will work for all systems.
This is a serious mistake, much like the flaws in Redhat 9
compared to Redhat 8, regarding use of Perl.

Redhat 9 Personal is longer maintained because of all
the bugs; to difficult to fix and release patches. This
is why I was able to buy a brand new Redhat 9 package
off Ebay for only five bucks.

As a programmer specializing in Win32 applications, I maintain
several machines loaded with various versions of Windows, from
Win98 through recent NT5 types. Before I realease any code to
public forums, I test my code on all of my boxes to be sure
there are no bugs, or to afford an ability to document bugs
so others will know.

I also maintain a machine loaded with Linux for testing
and all of my coding and programs are released for free,
just as is Apache.

Apache Org has almost infinite resources, an infinite source
for all types of operating systems, from Unix to Apple. These
resources are available via so many developers and contributors
to Apache development. I should be so lucky to have so many
different platforms available for platform testing. I should
be so lucky to have so many intelligent people to test my
programming methods for me.

This socket closure problem could have been caught in a matter
of minutes by asking developers to platform test and return
observed results, platform specific.

Why is it Apache does not platform test before release?

I would like to read reasons for this lack of exhaustive
platform testing by Apache Org. Any representative of
Apache Org willing to tackle this topic? Doing so will
certainly serve to improve the quality of Apache, the
best server written to date but quickly losing quality,
much like Redhat has.

As an individual, I have purchased a number of machines,
purchased a number of operating system software, so I
can platform test before release. Apache can platform
test for free through a vast audience.

Why is it Apache does not platform test before release?

Kira