httpd-users mailing list archives

From Max.Dittr...@t-online.de (Max Dittrich)
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ip aliases and vhosts
Date Sun, 16 May 2004 10:42:23 GMT
Mark Lowe wrote:
> Hi Joey
>
> Thanks for the response. Although I suspect the problem is related to
> how I'm routing my aliases as when I read my output for
>
> /sbin/ifconfig
>
> eth0:0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:01:29:21:7F:45
>           inet addr:10.0.0.10  Bcast:10.255.255.255   Mask:255.255.255.224
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           Interrupt:10 Base address:0x8000
>
> eth0:1    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:01:29:21:7F:45
>           inet addr:10.0.0.11  Bcast:10.255.255.255   Mask:255.255.255.224
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           Interrupt:10 Base address:0x8000
>

> Both of which are missing information on RX and TX packet which I
> believe they would be if they were working correctly. I'm still not
> sure whether this is the way I've configured my routes or it ipchains
> getting in the way, but when i disabled linux firewall I had the same
> problem so my guess is my routes are wrong. Or even perhaps I need to
> enter something in my hosts files and/or dns.

If you're working with a Linux-kernel, here is a note from the
ifconfig-manpage:

"
Since kernel release 2.2 there are no explicit interface statistics for
alias interfaces anymore. The statistics printed for the original
address are shared with all alias addresses on the same device. If you
want per-address statistics you should add explicit accounting rules for
the address using the ipchains(8) command.
                                             "

.max