httpd-users mailing list archives

From Darin Holloway <jdhollo...@blue.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 1.3.31 Released
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 02:18:48 GMT
(snipped)

>>And I won't even comment on PHP
>

> There are many who like PHP. We don't use it. However,
> others should not suffer nor not be allowed to use PHP
> because of bugs in Apache. I am confident Apache developers
> are addressing this issue; they do great work.

To be completely fair, the bugs are neither with apache 2.0.x nor the core of
PHP, it is a combination of known thread-safe apache and PHP implementations,
with non-thread safe PHP extensions.  There are four solutions to said problem.

1) Convince the original author to make a thread safe version of their extension.

2) Find another, thread safe library/extension to do the work for you.

3) Write/purchase your own thread safe implementation of said extension.

4) Use another solution/language to perform the operation in question.

Complaining about these problems on php or apache mailing lists, or trolling /.
will not get any of those four done any faster.

--
Darin Holloway
Systems Administrator and Web Developer -- Bluegrass Network, LLC