httpd-users mailing list archives

From Purl Gurl <purlg...@purlgurl.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 1.3.31 Released
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 01:59:53 GMT
Brent Dax Royal-Gordon wrote:

> Purl Gurl wrote:
> > Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. wrote:

(snipped)

> > Apache 2.x is very nice, feature rich but is
> > extremely buggy, is not stable and severely
> > limits usage of third party software.

> I'd have to disagree with "extremely buggy" and "not stable".

I am sure you do. This is logical. You are, most likely,
running a system different than ours.

> 1. A bug

> 2. A problem

> The Apache problem was with a third-party module

Reads to me you have encountered some problems.

> > Problems with PHP and Zone Alarm are classic
> > examples. Perl zombies under Win32, another
> > of the numerous problems with the 2.x series.

> ZoneAlarm is intended for personal computers, not servers.

Works excellent for our server. Not a chance I would
not run Zone Alarm. My experience is Zone Alarm prevented
twenty-three high level attempts in the past month,
which managed to pass through our other firewalls. We
experience an average of one-thousand hack attempts
per day. We run multiple layers of firewalls, as
all administrators should. Zone Alarm is an excellent
addition to our system.

> And I won't even comment on PHP

There are many who like PHP. We don't use it. However,
others should not suffer nor not be allowed to use PHP
because of bugs in Apache. I am confident Apache developers
are addressing this issue; they do great work.

> You also don't want to hear me rant

This is correct. Rants are best restricted to public
newsgroups. Rants are usually not welcomed within
private mailing lists.

> Are the Perl zombies still a problem?

With Apache 2.x, yes, a very serious problem. Why this
is so is Apache 2.x is ported to NT5 and is not compatible
with MSDOS, under which Perl runs on Win32.

Apache 1.3.x is compatible with all versions of Windows.
Apache 2.x is only compatible with NT5 type Windows.

Ironically, adding features to Apache 2.x actually
resulted in less features being available, specific
to Win32. Some features are restricted for all
operating systems.

Apache 2.x is very nice, I commend efforts by those
developing 2.x and realize they still have work ahead.

> Open source software is all about giving each person the best
> solution, and if the best solution for someone is Apache 1.3

Each person enjoys different experiences, each person has
unique needs, each person makes use of those tools best
suited to circumstances.

This is why I avoid ranting about whatever. Doing so
is highly illogical and, at times, annoying.

Regards,

Kira