httpd-users mailing list archives

From Purl Gurl <purlg...@purlgurl.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache HTTP Server 1.3.31 Released
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 00:30:19 GMT
Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. wrote:

(snipped)

> If we are wanting people to code modules for Apache 2.x, why are we still
> supporting 1.3.x? I can understand bug fixes and such but even then I would
> have figured that there would be a concerted effort to get people to move to
> Apache 2.x so module developers will have no choice but to port their
> modules to it.

Apache 1.3.x series is the most stable and the
best version of Apache ever released. It would
be major mistake to drop development of this
specific series.

Apache 2.x is very nice, feature rich but is
extremely buggy, is not stable and severely
limits usage of third party software.

Problems with PHP and Zone Alarm are classic
examples. Perl zombies under Win32, another
of the numerous problems with the 2.x series.

Again, dropping development and support of
the 1.3.x series would certainly be a fatal
mistake on the part of Apache developers;
Apache 2.x is not all that marketable.

Certainly, in the future, Apache 2.x will be
of very high quality. For now, there are
literally thousands of administrators who
will not use 2.x series having a need for
stability and compatibility.

Regards,

Kira