httpd-users mailing list archives

From Purl Gurl <purlg...@purlgurl.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Apache HTTP Server 1.3.31 Released (BUG STILL THERE?)
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 00:19:37 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

(snipped)

>  Apache HTTP Server 1.3.31 Released

>  This version of Apache is principally a bug and security fix release.

Jim, there is a problem.

Over the past year, much discussion has taken place about
this closure bug under Win32 in versions 1.3.28 and 1.3.29
leading users to avoid those versions. This is the bug which
floods both Apache's error log and access log with,

warn exec() not safe....

Recently, a person indicated this bug would be repaired
in version 1.3.30 which is not being released. Before
anyone can use this new 1.3.31 version, readers need
to know if this extremely serious bug has been fixed.

This is the problem. There is no mention of this bug being
fixed in the nix tarball package. The real problem is you
cannot open a Win32 package to check "changes" because,
for reasons I cannot fathom, the Win32 package leaves you
no choice but to install, after removing your current Apache.

That in itself, is another bug. Why this is a bug is a Win32
server must be shut down, the entire Apache installation removed,
registry edited to prevent installation in the wrong directory,
the new package installed, then a complete rebuild of the server.
I have enjoyed luck retaining user directories, Perl and other
directories and custom modules, but I am always hesitant to
install Win32 packages not knowing what will happen.

Jim, this extremely serious closure bug generating a flooding
of logs with "warn exec() not safe..." under Win32, has this
bug been fixed? There is not a single note on this to be found.

I would like to share this information with many others in the
Apache newsgroups, others who have been waiting a long time
for news of this bug being fixed.

Thanks,

Kira