httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Heinrich C. Kuhn" <...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] problem serving Arabic pages
Date Tue, 11 May 2004 12:34:12 GMT
Jeff Nelson wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting Apache to serve Arabic language pages.  When the html file
is
> loaded locally, it is recognized as Arabic and the Arabic script appears.  But when it's
> loaded through Apache, the browser recognizes it as the wrong character set.
>
> Here is the page I'm trying to get to work:
> http://www.ugruenglish.uaeu.ac.ae/arabic/Main

I accessed the page with Mozilla Firefox 0.8 from a machine
using German WinXP.

The pages arrives with
and with unreadable characters.
When I set the charset (via the "View"-menue of the Browser) to
"Arabic (ISO 8859-6)" the display at least shows Arabic characters,
and when set to "Arabic (Windows 1256)" it looks fine (at least for
me who was never a good reader of Arabic, and who has lost more
or less all of his knowledge by not using it for more than 15
years).

Suggestion: perhaps you could serve the page in either ISO Unicode
(UTF 8) or ISO 8859-6 and send a charset-identifier for this
(as "windows-1256" seems to ambiguous)?

HTH

Heinrich C. Kuhn