httpd-users mailing list archives

From Laura Vance <van...@winfreeacademy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Issues....
Date Tue, 11 May 2004 14:27:44 GMT
Hello Jill,

I don't run an XP machine, which is why I didn't respond to this in the
first place, but after her next mail being completely fed up (after on
solitary attempt at help), I feel like I might be able to offer an idea.

I know that when I write my software (cgi scripts in both Perl and C++),
if I don't issue a command to flush the output buffer, the pages will
appear incomplete.  In Perl, it's as simple as setting $| = 1; before
any output is given.  In C++ it's as simple as issuing a cout << endl;
at the end of your output.  If it is a C++ program, and this doesn't
work, it is (in my case) always because the program broke somewhere
before the buffer flush command was given.  In these cases, I add
various "endl"s to different parts of the program to see if I can track
down where exactly the software is failing.

All that these do is flush the output buffer.  I'm not sure if this is
your problem, because you didn't say if it was happening to HTML or
scripts.  I also do not use 2.0.49, I use 1.3.29, so I don't know what
version-related issues there are.  If it's happening to HTML, there
might be a configuration issue in apache, but again, I've never had that
problem.

A possible reason that you didn't get any responses is because people
that are running your same configuration hadn't read the list in the
past few days, or maybe nobody has your exact configuration, or maybe
nobody has run across that problem.  Essentially, without having
experienced the exact problem, all anyone can do is speculate or give
ideas, and other times people don't want to confuse the issue or post
something that they know might not be completely helpful since it's with
a different setup.

I CC'd you on this email, because from your 'fed up' email, I don't know
if you have already unsubscribed from the apache mailing list.

hope this helps.

--
Thanks,
Laura Vance