httpd-users mailing list archives

From Shawn Wilson <sha...@atmreports.com>
Subject [users@httpd] SSL (https) hangs
Date Wed, 05 May 2004 15:12:10 GMT
Just yesterday we started running into problems requesting pages on our
production website through SSL. Previously everything had been working
fine for months. Essentially what happens is when you request the page
for the first time (doesn't seem to matter what browser you're using)
the browser just sits and spins. Then after hitting refresh (Ctrl+R) a
couple times it finally comes up. Subsequent visits to the same page
continue to work for me in Mozilla but after closing IE and reopening it
after a couple more requests it hangs again. In case it helps, the site
in question is https://www.atmreports.com.

I simply cannot figure out what is going on. I do see many errors in the
error_log, but these had been there before when everything worked fine too:

[Wed May 05 08:58:58 2004] [error] SSL handshake interrupted by system
[Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!]
[Wed May 05 09:00:12 2004] [error] Spurious SSL handshake interrupt
[Hint: Usually just one of those OpenSSL confusions!?]

A few things to note, any of which may contribute to the problem but for
the life of me I can't figure out how:

1. On Friday we just moved out datacenter to a new location. However we
see this problem even internally at the location so I don't believe it
is any sort of routing issue (and the problem didn't start until Tuesday).

2. The clock on this webserver was many hours off. On Tuesday (yes, the
day the problems started) the clock was synchronized and the timezone
correctly set so the machine now has correct time. This seems to be the
most probably cause, but why would we see problems now that it has
*correct* time?

3. Yesterday we rebooted the box to see if that would help. It did. We
didn't have any more problems at all that day until this morning we see
the problems again.

4. I wouldn't think this could have anything to do with that new Sasser
worm, but listing that just in case.

The machine is running Linux kernel 2.4.20-8 with httpd-2.0.40-21 and
openssl-0.9.7a-2. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-shawn

--
Shawn Wilson [shawnw@atmreports.com]