httpd-users mailing list archives

From Paul Mindeman <minde...@btinet.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] ulimit being ignored
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 17:57:36 GMT

John P. Dodge wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Paul Mindeman wrote:
>

>>  The error log says that the certificate file for one of the hosts
>>cannot be opened because there are too many open files.  When I change
>>CustomLog back to logging to a file instead of a process, the server
>>
>>I've tried setting the ULIMIT_MAX_FILES variable in apachectl to "ulimit
>>-S -n unlimited", but still get the same error.  Its almost as if ulimit
>>is being ignored, or isn't getting passed on to the child processes.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>

> What O/S?
>
> If Solaris or HP you probably need to increase the system FD limits.
>
> Solaris:
>
> In /etc/system:
>
> set rlim_fd_max = 4096
> set rlim_fd_cur = 2048
>
> Then do s reconfigure re-boot.
>

> HPUX:
>
> Increase MAXNPROC, MAXUPROC, MAXNFILES, (I think).

> "Mon aƩroglisseur est plein d'anguilles"
> John P. Dodge
> Boeing Shared Services

The OS is Solaris 9.  I tried adding those lines to /etc/system and
doing the reconfigure boot.  The error still occurs.  I thought the
problem might have something to do with Apache being built on Solaris 8
and running on Solaris 9, so I rebuilt Apache on Solaris 9.  Same behavior.

The line from the error_log says:

[Tue May 04 09:40:01 2004] [error] SSL Library Error: 33558552
error:02001018:system library:fopen:Too many open files

--
Paul Mindeman
BTInet Systems Administrator