httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eugene Lee <list-apa...@fsck.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] httpd startup time
Date Fri, 28 May 2004 20:06:37 GMT
On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 03:06:16PM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
: On Fri, 28 May 2004 cnelson@nycap.rr.com wrote:
: >
: >Define "incredibly small time intervals" and "slow to start".  My tests
: >show Apache taking 20-60 seconds to start which is a large percentage of
: >the time it takes my system to start up.  I'm shooting for <60 boot
: >time.
:
: I think there is something very wrong, in that case (like bad DNS
: lookups).  I've never experienced startup-times anywhere near that
: long with the default config.  You could try strace'ing apache to
: see what is using all the time.

Agreed.  My startup times is in the order of >5 seconds; this is the
total time it takes me to type "/usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start",
wait for the shell prompt to return, click onto a web browser, type the
appropriate URL, and load the web page.

If Apache is taking 20-60 seconds to start, something is broke.  Is your
system already under a heavy load before starting Apache?  How much free
memory do you have?  Does your system start to swap?  Does your Apache
error_log reporting anything unusual?

--
Eugene Lee