httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Klama" <nosed...@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] ip aliases vhosts
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 15:31:30 GMT
Mark,
Please post the solution to your network setup as I have a similar network
situation I need to setup and am have trouble understanding how to do it.
This thread is about the closest that I have seen to what I need and would
appreciate your help.

Mike

MRKtechWEB makes it simple to get your personal, business, or organizational
presence on the internet with our easy to use web hosting plans.  Make the
right choice for your business now at www.mrktechweb.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Lowe [mailto:mark.lowe@boxstuff.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2004 6:44 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] ip aliases vhosts

Okay ..

Forgive my stupidity. But lets say I've the domain hosteddomain.com which is
hosted on the same box which is known the world as maindomain.com

hosteddomain.com.     	IN     NS	ns.maindomain.com.
www.hosteddomain.com. IN     A       10.0.0.10
ftp.hosteddomain.com. 	IN     A       10.0.0.10
mail.hosteddomain.com 	IN	A	10.0.0.10
hosteddomain.com.     	IN     A       10.0.0.10

Now when I ping hosteddomain.com it correctly returns 10.0.0.10 .. But this
of course is pretty useless. Apache seems to work fine with my directives as
when i request www.hosteddomain.com i get the index page

curl www.hosteddomain.com

Ideally I could do this without using the hosts file so when we get another
server, I can change the ip for ns.maindomain.com, mv my network scripts
with the ipaliases to another machine and thus make lighter work of such a
move.

Now while I'm well aware this is perhaps more a apache list rather than a
dns list, I'm sure there must be someone who

1. Has done this in the real world.
and
2. Is charitable enough to provide more than mystical insights into the
matter. But something like I've used to describe the problem and the sorts
of examples I like to give when responding to mailing lists and such like.

I've just had a great answer on another list, and I hope to post the
solution on this thread when I'm done. Or I could just wait to the next poor
soul to have this problem, and just mail snippets that express enough to
demonstrate what I know what I'm talking about, without actually helping
anyone solve the problem.

Thanks

Mark