httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eugene Lee <list-apa...@fsck.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] High load average problem
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 23:44:47 GMT
On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 11:13:33AM -0700, David Yee wrote:
:
: Thanks Eugene- looks like it's running prefork- do you know how I can switch
: over to worker in RH9?
:
: Server version: Apache/2.0.47
: Server built:   Sep  8 2003 11:47:10
: Architecture:   32-bit
: Server compiled with....
:  -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
[...]

Rebuild from source like so:

	./configure --with-mpm=worker ...

I thought Apache tries to choose the best MPM based on the known
features of your OS.  You might get worse results by choosing bad
combinations of MPM & OS (e.g. don't do FreeBSD pre-5 and worker).

: Here are the enabled modules- some of these I probably don't need:
:
: LoadModule access_module modules/mod_access.so
: LoadModule auth_module modules/mod_auth.so
: LoadModule include_module modules/mod_include.so
: LoadModule log_config_module modules/mod_log_config.so
: LoadModule env_module modules/mod_env.so
: LoadModule mime_magic_module modules/mod_mime_magic.so
: LoadModule expires_module modules/mod_expires.so
: LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so
: LoadModule headers_module modules/mod_headers.so
: LoadModule usertrack_module modules/mod_usertrack.so
: LoadModule unique_id_module modules/mod_unique_id.so
: LoadModule setenvif_module modules/mod_setenvif.so
: LoadModule mime_module modules/mod_mime.so
: LoadModule status_module modules/mod_status.so
: LoadModule autoindex_module modules/mod_autoindex.so
: LoadModule asis_module modules/mod_asis.so
: LoadModule vhost_alias_module modules/mod_vhost_alias.so
: LoadModule negotiation_module modules/mod_negotiation.so
: LoadModule dir_module modules/mod_dir.so
: LoadModule actions_module modules/mod_actions.so
: LoadModule speling_module modules/mod_speling.so
: LoadModule alias_module modules/mod_alias.so
: LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
:
: I'm running PHP 4.3.3 with Turck MMCache 2.4.5.  It's usually a pain to
: upgrade the RPMs so I havne't upgraded PHP yet.

Ewww.  I always build from source.  Sorry, I don't know how to help you
further by the software end.  There's some Apache documentation that may
give you some additional knobs to tune.  But it might be the simple case
that you are reaching the limits of your current hardware, and that it's
time to upgrade.

--
Eugene Lee