httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eugene Lee <list-apa...@fsck.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Disabling default port
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 19:01:59 GMT
On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 02:27:12PM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
:
: On Wed, 19 May 2004 cnelson@nycap.rr.com wrote:
:
: > I have a little configuration script which manipulates httpd.conf then
: > gives a SIGHUP to have httpd re-read its configuration.  My goal is to
: > enable port 80, port 443, both, or neither.  My script manipulates a
: > section that looks like this:
: >
: > <IfDefine SSL>
: > Listen 80
: > Listen 443
: > </IfDefine>
: >
: > by adding "# " to one line or the other.  But when I want to disable
: > access (by commenting out _both_ lines), I can still connect via HTTP to
: > port 80.  Is there a way I can disable this easily?  Something a little
: > sed script can accomplish.  (I'd prefer to always have httpd running so
: > that my script only needs to change httpd.conf and send a signal, not
: > worry about whether the demon is running or not.)
:
: Listen 80
: is the default if no Listen is present.

Actually, this has changed in Apache 2.  Looking at the docs:

	The Listen directive instructs Apache to listen to only specific
	IP addresses or ports; by default it responds to requests on all
	IP interfaces. Listen is now a required directive. If it is not
	in the config file, the server will fail to start. This is a
	change from previous versions of Apache.

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#listen

Since he cannot have Apache running while listening to no ports, he must
shut it down.

--
Eugene Lee