httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mikkel Christensen <mik...@talkactive.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache refuses to start when it's user is member of to many groups
Date Fri, 07 May 2004 08:29:25 GMT
Hello everybody

In order to set propper permissions for suexec at my webserver I've tried to make the apache-user
member of all the groups which my users own.
Eg. Apache's user (www) is member of the groups webuser1, webuser2, webuser3 and so forth.
Only problem is that apache refuses to start when the apache user is member of too many groups.
The number of allowed groups before I run into trouble is about 30, but it differs each time.

When restarting apache I get this errors in my error log:

[Thu May  6 10:51:50 2004] [notice] Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) PHP/4.3.4 PHP-CGI/0.1b configured
-- resuming normal operations
[Thu May  6 10:51:50 2004] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/local/sbin/suexec)
[Thu May  6 10:51:50 2004] [notice] Accept mutex: flock (Default: flock)
[Thu May  6 10:39:38 2004] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: initgroups: unable to set groups
for User www and Group 80
[Thu May  6 10:39:38 2004] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: initgroups: unable to set groups
for User www and Group 80
[Thu May  6 10:39:38 2004] [alert] (22)Invalid argument: initgroups: unable to set groups
for User www and Group 80
[Thu May  6 10:39:39 2004] [alert] Child 21628 returned a Fatal error...
Apache is exiting!

I've tried to search information about this issue on google but everybody else than me seems
to get the error because they are running apache from  a wrong userid.
(usually nobody). I know this is not my problem since this works perfectly as long as Apache's
user is member of only a few groups.

I figured this might be an error caused becase each child taking to long to start (because
the groups have to be initiated or something like that) and is therefore being terminated.
If so there must be some sort of timeout directive that I can use to solve the problem.

Of course this is only my guess. It could also be some kind of bug in Apache but I wouldn't
know. Or maybe this lays at my operating system.

My setup is Apache 1.3.29 configured with suexec running at a FreeBSD 5.2.1 box.

All help is greatly appreciated.
Also if anyone have my setup working perfectly I would like to know since it them must be
an issue with my specific installation.

Best regards
- Mikkel