httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] I need some LOCAL Virtual Host Examples
Date Fri, 07 May 2004 03:34:16 GMT

--- Scott Haneda <lists@newgeo.com> wrote:
> on 05/06/2004 07:24 PM, David Blomstrom at
> david_blomstrom@yahoo.com wrote:

> Your computer knows nothing about the host
> geosymbols, it is not even really
> a valid hostname.  If you look in
> c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc you should
> see a file called Hosts.
>
> Add a line in there of
> 127.0.0.1 geosymbols.mycomputer.com
>
> Or name it whatever you want.
>
> Then, your v-host container would be:
> ServerName geosymbols.mycomputer.com

OK, I found the file c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc,
opened it with Notepad and added the line. The entire
file now looks like this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP
for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to
host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP
address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the
corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated
by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be
inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#'
symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          #
source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x
client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.1 geosymbols.mycomputer.com

Then I went back into Apache's httpd file and changed
the ServerName to match:

<VirtualHost *>
    DocumentRoot c/sites/geosymbols
    ServerName geosymbols.mycomputer.com
</VirtualHost>

But I still don't understand how to set up
DocumentRoot; I don't see anything in Apache's
examples that resemble a path on a local machine.

Thanks.