httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Can you straighten me out? (
Date Fri, 07 May 2004 00:13:28 GMT

--- Gary Smith <gary@primeexalia.com> wrote:
> In your configuration you can add an entry for Alias
> for each subfolder that can do this for you.
>
> Alias /geoworld/images /images
> Alias /gepbop/images /images
>
> (or something like this.)

Thanks, I'll do some research on the "Alias" function.
I found a great page with Virtual Host examples at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/examples.html,
but it looks like all the examples are for online
websites!

I don't see any examples that I can follow in setting
up a local site. I assume this is the standard
strategy, right?:

"Running several name-based web sites on a single IP
address."

And then I have to do all of this before I actually
create a virtual host:

Server configuration

# Ensure that Apache listens on port 80
Listen 80

(Apache is set up to listen to port 80 by default,
isn't it?)

# Listen for virtual host requests on all IP addresses
NameVirtualHost *

(Am I supposed to copy the line above and paste it
somewhere in my httpd.conf file?)

<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /www/example1
ServerName www.example1.com

# Other directives here

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
DocumentRoot /www/example2
ServerName www.example2.org

# Other directives here

</VirtualHost>

(So after I figure out the DocumentRoot's and
ServerName's, I would add something like this under
"Other directories" for each website, right?:

Alias /geoworld/images /images
Alias/geozoo/images /images