httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sandor Sav <savsan...@personal.ro>
Subject [users@httpd] using content-encoding:gzip without mod_gzip/mod_deflate
Date Wed, 05 May 2004 10:54:11 GMT
(Sorry for the previous empty mail)

I need some HTTP experts' opinion about the use of content-encoding/vary...

I'm developing a web site for an Apache/1.3.27 (RedHat7) server
without mod_gzip, but having extremely slow network connection.
So I try on publishing gzip compressed documents.
My question is: How can I make the original and the compressed
document identify themselves as the same (same ETag,...)?

my directory tree is something like this:
[/web]
  /web/first_page.html
  /web/second_page.html
[/web/gzip]
  /web/gzip/first_page.html.gz
  /web/gzip/second_page.html.gz
[/web/style]
  /web/style/style.css
[/web/style/gzip]
  /web/style/gzip/style.css.gz

and I tried this config:
~~~~~~~~~
AddEncoding gzip .gz
FileETag MTime    # documents are identified only by their modif.time
RewriteBase /web
RewriteRule first_page gzip/first_page.html.gz
..... other rewrites ....
# if gzip is not supported, send the uncompressed document:
RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-Encoding} !gzip
RewriteRule (.*)/gzip/(.+)\.gz$ $1/$2
<DirectoryMatch .*/gzip>
  Header append Vary Accept-Encoding
</DirectoryMatch>
~~~~~~~~~

It's working, but only if the original and the compressed docs
have the same modif.time; (and the solution is complicated)
Is there a way to keep it simple and do the same thing?

Maybe not to use ETags at all?
Is Last-Modified doing the same thing as ETag?

(If you've achieved at this point, then I can just
THANK YOU for your patience)

good-bye
Száv Sándor