httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Brief question about my system not working
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 13:36:29 GMT
Daniel wrote:
> I installed Apache on my computer at home primarily as a test.
> I installed it on a desktop with Windows, XP Pro with SP2-RC1.  I
> installed it for one user, and tried to use 127.0.0.1 as a
server/domain/dns
> name. However, I have been unable to get it to work successfully (I have
> yet to see the Welcome-to-Apache page)... I only get the Windows
> "cannot find server" page.

First, is Apache running? If you installed it as a service, you should be
able to check this with Apache Service Monitor (system tray) or through
Windows' Services (control panel->admin tools->services). You can also peek
in Task Manager's process listing.

If you don't see it running, it is either that it wasn't started or it
failed to start. If the latter, you should be able to get some information
from the error log (<apache-dir>/logs/).

If it is running, but no requests are answered, again check the error log.

Also, even though Apache for Windows comes with an installer, it is no
substitute for editing httpd.conf manually. If you haven't, open httpd.conf
in an editor and read through it and make changes as necessary. Apache's web
site has wonderful documentation on every directive.

Regards,
Robert Andersson