httpd-users mailing list archives

From m...@initsix.net
Subject [users@httpd] Help on invoking gzip with the CustomLog directive
Date Sun, 09 May 2004 15:37:14 GMT
Hello all:

I have an interesting problem, I would like Apache to gzip access logs in
real time to each a virtual domain's perspective access_log file.

This appears to be possible using the CustomLog directive by piping to
gzip [http://www.itc.yorku.ca/manual/logs.html#customlog], however I have
yet to have it work for me on my own implementation.

This is my current CustomLog directive:
CustomLog "|/usr/bin/gzip -c >>
/home/http/project87/skysec.net/logs/access_log.gz" common

-gzip does live in /usr/bin
-access_log.gz does exist and is writable by apache.

Apache's error_log shows the following:
piped log program '/usr/bin/gzip -c >>
/home/http/project87/skysec.net/logs/access_log.gz' failed unexpectedly
gzip: >>: No such file or directory

It appears that the gzip process Apache has invoked is complaining that
there it can't find the file ">>"   This would indicate to me that Apache
is not correctly piping log data to gzip.   Any ideas on how to fix this?

I am running Apache/2.0.48 built from source on Slackware 9.1 on Linux 2.6.5

Thanks
-Mark