httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joey Hewitt <j...@joeyhewitt.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] HTTP 1.1 chunked encoding appears broken for index pages/negotiated content
Date Mon, 10 May 2004 03:48:51 GMT
Quoting Joey Hewitt <joey@joeyhewitt.com>:

> Quoting Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>:
>
> > On Sun, 9 May 2004 joey@joeyhewitt.com wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all,
> >
> > > (chop)
> >
> > What you post appears to indicate a bug - and you've done a good job
> > of digging for details likely to be relevant.

[snip]

I just procured the following set of request headers that my browser sends (I
ran netcat on port 89, so it's a little different than the normal request.)
===
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.joeyhewitt.com:89
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive
===

So, it appears the browser is aware of language and even requests English.
I'm wondering if the fact that there's no "chunked" listed under Accept-Encoding
is significant.  Is it implied that HTTP 1.1 clients can accept chunked
encoding?  I still don't think it matters though, because it seems from my
tests (mentioned previously) that the browser *does* in fact accept chunked
encoding, but Apache doesn't do it properly in certain circumstances.

I also read up on content negotiation.  I use the "Options MultiViews" method,
not the explicit type-map .var method, if that's of any consequence.

Thanks again,
==Joey