httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] do not fork CGI child when specific load average is exceed
Date Thu, 27 May 2004 15:07:19 GMT
Florian Effenberger wrote:
> in order to prevent from DoS attacks when running PHP as CGI, I'd like
> to have a possibility to not fork CGI child when specific load average
> is exceed.

Apache do not have any native facilities for this. The simplest way to
achive this is to make an alternate httpd.conf without CGI-support, then
have an external script do a graceful restart of Apache with this
configuration when the load goes over a certain threshold, and then restore
the original when it goes below.

I guess it could also be possible to make a module that "steals" requests
from mod_cgi[d] when this condition is reached. I don't know if anyone has
tried.

Regards,
Robert Andersson