httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Vhosts not routed to the correct directory...
Date Mon, 03 May 2004 15:55:42 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kjeldsen" <peterk@lingualizer.net>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 11:02 AM
Subject: [users@httpd] Vhosts not routed to the correct directory...

[snip]

[snip]

When I go to http://www.lingualizer.net/ I get a "Bad Request" error,
telling me I am trying to speak HTTP over HTTPS.  My browser is looking
at port 80.  But the server string at the footer of the error page says
"Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/2.0.47 (Mandrake Linux/1.6.91mdk)
mod_perl/1.99_08 Perl/v5.8.0 mod_ssl/2.0.47 OpenSSL/0.9.7a PHP/4.3.1
Server at mail.lingualizer.net Port 443"

First, why is it configured to talk HTTPS on port 80?  Second, why is it
calling itself mail.lingualizer.net when that isn't what I typed in, and
that isn't even in the DNS?  Third, why does it think I am talking to
port 443?  Maybe you have forwarded port 80 to port 443 by mistake?  If
I then try to type https://www.lingualizer.net/ I get a connection
refused, which says it's either blocked by the firewall, or no Listen
443 directive in the configs (httpd.conf, ssl.conf, vhosts section).
First thing I would do is check your firewall.  Double check it.
Tripple check it.  Second thing I would do, is look in your log files,
and see if you see your IP address.  Caveat: you have no log files
specified for each VirtualHost, so it's all going to the main log files,
which isn't good for troubleshooting, especially since the default
"Common" and "Combined" log formats do not include the virtual host (%v
in the LogFormat string).  Also, all your errors are going into the same
log file, and there's no way to specify a virtual host that I am aware
of.  If you're using a relatively small number of virtual hosts (256-512
or so), you should probably put the logs into separate files.  Read the
docs on the LogFormat directive, and mod_log_config, possibly even
mod_logio (if you compiled and loaded it).

> > However, the lingualizer site was until these changes were
implemented
> > running Neomail from www.lingualizer.net/cgi-bin/neomail.pl, that
does
> > not work anymore and is to me an indication of the changes in

Umm, easy.  Your VirtualHost blocks have no ScriptAlias directive, and
no Directory block to allow access, and enable CGI execution.  Read the
Apache docs for these.  Mine look like this:

    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/domain.dom/cgi-bin/"
    <Directory "/var/www/domain.dom/cgi-bin">
        Options None
        # May need Options +ExecCGI .  I am using suexec,
        # which seems to ignore the Options directive.  :-\
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

> Vhost.conf
> > is actually now in full force and diverting requests from the
> directory

Ok, so you changed a conf file and the web server acted differently.
Changing the right file at least!  :-)

> > /var/www/html, which were the previous default document root, but
> where
> > to?

The best I can tell, the web server isn't making any connections from
outside the firewall to port 80, so it's not going to match these
virtual hosts.  That's why I get connection refused.

No wait, you changed something, must have fixed the firewall.  Now I get
the same page loading for both domains, but with a missing
"welcome.html".

> > Regards
> > Peter
> >
> > #Peter's additions for NameBasedHosting 2004/may/03
> >
> > #Top level - Deny access everywhere
> > <Directory />
> >  Deny from all
> > </Directory>
> >
> > NameVirtualHost *

Change to NameVirtualHost *:80, to be sure it matches exactly the
VirtualHost directives.  Just to rule that out as a possible problem.

> > <VirtualHost *:80>
> >  ServerName www.lingualizer.net
> >  DocumentRoot /var/www/html/lingualizer
> >   #Allow access /var/www/html/lingualizer
> >   <Directory "/var/www/html/lingualizer">
> >     Allow from all
> >   </Directory>
> >  DirectoryIndex index.html

        ScriptAlias ... ",,,"
        <Directory ",,,">
            Options ...
            Order ...
            Allow ...
        </Directory>

> > </VirtualHost>
> >
> > <VirtualHost *:80>
> >  ServerName www.cotman-university.com
> >  DocumentRoot /var/www/html/cotman-university
> >   #Allow access /var/www/html/cotman-university
> >   <Directory "/var/www/html/cotman-university">
> >     Allow from all
> >   </Directory>
> >  DirectoryIndex index.html

        ScriptAlias ... ",,,"