httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 403 Denied[solved]
Date Sun, 02 May 2004 15:38:57 GMT
No problem.  Glad it worked.  I ran out of ideas.  :-D  Weird though,
about the "seemingly" inconsistent behaviour.  Like I said, maybe the
config file looks consistent, but maybe there's omissions of directives
where Apache is left to some internal default decisions?  I'm not at all
familiar with these finer points.  There's got to be some reason, even
if it's just "the way it is".  However, regarding the current problem,
I've never seen a <Directory> without an Order and at least an Allow or
Deny directive, if not both, so maybe that had something to do with it.
You could perhaps try adding it to the other sites to make sure they
don't fall prey to the same problem in the future -- preemptive
troubleshooting.

Leif

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr." <jnagyjr@joseph-a-nagy-jr.homelinux.org>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2004 8:17 AM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] 403 Denied[solved]

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 02:20:22AM -0400, Leif W wrote the following:
> Well, look, I'm not going to argue with you, you asked for help and
I'm
> just trying to help.  You said "all the folders in question", but you
> failed to list explicitly which folders YOU consider to be in
question,
> as opposed to which folders someone else might realize that APACHE
> considers to be in question, which is what ultimately matters.  Even
if
> it seems basic, it's best to start at the beginning and not make
> assumptions about what you're considering, what the software
considers,
> and how other people might interpret an ambiguous description.  :-)

Sorry.

> From the description you provided, and from what Apache is saying in
the
> logs, and to the browser, it appears to be a problem where Apache is
> refusing to let the client see something.  After playing with my file
> and directory permissions on the assumption that it
wasafilepermissions
> error, I noticed that the file permission error is differnt from the
> error log entry you reported.  I found out that I can get this same
> error message as you in my log file, and the same error in my browser.
> This is probably your problem.  What I did was set "Order deny,allow"
> and "Deny from all".  It's an extreme case, but you may have something
> related to your deny vs. allow, or ordering, which may be more subtle?
> I.e. default behaviour, as you have nothing specified in that
> <Directory> tag.  Try the following example.Also note, 1) your
> DocumentRoot location must match your Directory location, 2) You
> directory location was / (root),which is probably a BAD idea (typo in
> the email?), 3) the <Directory> parameter should be double-quoted, and
> have no trailing / (which is impossible when you try to use / ).  You
> probably need something like this, shown below.
>
> <Directory "/path/to/public_html">
>        Options All Multiviews
>        Order allow,deny
>        Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> Leif

That's odd because I don't have that problem elsewhere with the same
setup.
Hrm. *adjusts and tests*

<VirtualHost *>
   ServerAdmin c_sage@charter.net
   DocumentRoot /home/csage/public_html/
   ServerName charles-sage.homeip.net
   CustomLog /path/to/logs/charles-sage.access.log combined
   ErrorLog /path/to/logs/charles-sage.error.log
 <Directory "/home/csage/public_html">
        Options All Multiviews
 Order allow,deny
 Allow from all
 </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
<snip>

That worked oddly enough. I'm not sure why this vhost would need tha
allow,deny setup when the others don't but eh, it works. *waves dead
chicken* Thanks for the help and sorry that I was an ass.
--
Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. http://joseph-a-nagy-jr.homelinux.org
Political Activist Extraordinaire Peace, Life, Liberty